[Samba] Installing onto Windows

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Mar 15 09:13:53 UTC 2016

On 15/03/16 08:49, Douglas Holden wrote:
> Hello.  I am totally new to Samba.
>
> I would like to network 2 computers, Linux and Windows.I've looked over the install instructions but have no idea what it all means.I already have Samba in my Linux.  It detects the other computer's Windows but times out.
> Do I assume correctly that both computers need Samba to network them?What essentially do I do to install and use Samba in Windows 7?
> Thank you,Doug

You don't :-)
You use Samba to connect windows machines to Unix machines that are
running Samba.

Lets ask the easy questions first:
What Linux OS are you using ?
What version of Samba are you using (typing 'smbd -V' in a terminal will
get you this) ?
How is Samba set up, please post your smb.conf.

Rowland