[Samba] 'Smb' server service is reason of panic of Samba 436 smbd daemon.

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Mar 15 07:50:54 UTC 2016

On 14/03/16 21:47, CpServiceSpb wrote:
> I saw at the link, I tried simple conf posted at link, but didn' t get
> working result.
> By the way, I use passdb backend = samba_dsdb

I would suggest you stop trying to use the 'samba_dsdb' backend, as far
as I am aware, this is only used on an AD DC.

> Which backend should I use withion standalone server ?

tdbsam or ldapsam, I would just use the Samba standalone server wiki
page as a start, if I were you, this (though it doesn't show it) uses
the tdbsam backend.

> After deleting all content of private folder (after provision as
> standalone server) I got 'smbd' error: "pdb_samba_dsdb_init_secrets
> failed!"

Well, yes you would, I will say it again, *You can only provision Samba4
as a DC, nothing else will work!*

If you want a standalone server, see here:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Standalone_server

If you want a domain member, see here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_Samba_as_an_AD_Domain_Member

If you want a DC, see here: