[Samba] 'Smb' server service is reason of panic of Samba 436 smbd daemon.

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Mar 14 20:33:48 UTC 2016

On 14/03/16 20:15, CpServiceSPb . wrote:
> Yes, exactly.
> Also, bind9 is used.
> Such behavior I saw at 436 at Ubuntu 14.04 x64.
> There was not so with 434 at Ubuntu 14.04 x32.
>
> Unfortunatelly, I didn' t understand what you said in 2nd part of phrase.
>
> I understand that if remove either some services or all from the line, it
> will turn it off.
> But I suppose, that 'smb' additionally tries to turn on smb which has been
> already on and as a result second start smb causes socket error because the
> socket are already in use.

OOPS :-[

You can use the 'smb' option, but because I never use it, I forgot all
about it, also your line in smb.conf should be something like this:

server services = smb, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc, drepl,
winbindd, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate

You will now find that you are using the ntvfs backend, which isn't as
feature rich as the s3fs backend and isn't really maintained and there
was some recent talk about removing the ntvfs backend.

Please stop using the 'smb' option and then see if you have any problems
with your DC.

Also if you want to run Samba 4 as a standalone server, see here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Standalone_server

Rowland