[Samba] Why my dir is not available ?

Pierre Couderc pierre at couderc.eu
Sat Mar 12 18:28:02 UTC 2016

On 03/12/2016 06:45 PM, Rowland penny wrote:
> On 12/03/16 17:37, Pierre Couderc wrote:
>> I have a samba server with a "var" share.
>>
>> I have 2 client computers  which mount this share  each one with each
>> (identical) /etc/fstab: :
>>
>> //192.168.163.1/var    /mnt/var        cifs
>> _netdev,username=xxxx,password=yyyy
>>
>> On a first client, I try to ls :
>>
>> ls /mnt/var/www
>>
>> and I get well the contents of www
>>
>> On the second client, I get :
>> ls: cannot open directory /mnt/var/www: Permission denied
>>
>> How it is possible ? where to look for ?
>>
>> please note that, on the 2 clients, if I ls  :
>>
>> ls /mnt/var gives me correct results !!
>>

>> Thank you for any help.
>>
>> PC
>>

> Hi, can you post a bit more info, how are you running Samba ?
> Can you post the smb.conf files from the two machines ?
>
> Rowland

Thank you.
Yes, I can. And I will if it is useful.
But will it help you to help me ?

I suppose have a correct samba configuration, as it works with many
customer computers (since years...).
Ma question 1 : Is it possible that I am wrong on this point ?

My question 2 :  what can make a difference between these 2 clients ?
There is a small difference : the "good" customer is Ubuntu, and the
"bad" one is debian...

Please note that I cannot send the 2 smb.conf because I have only one !
It is on the server.
There are no smb.conf on the clients.
The only element of configuration on the clients is the /etc/fstab