[Samba] The sad state of samba 4 adaption for home/small business routers.

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Sat Mar 12 17:25:35 UTC 2016

On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 06:15:30PM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 12.03.2016 um 18:08 schrieb Sketch:
> >On Sat, 12 Mar 2016, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> >
> >>GPLv3 should guarentee that you can replace the Samba
> >>on *any* device. That's the whole point of GPLv3 - no
> >>DRM.
> >>
> >>If you find a Samba device using any Samba 3.2 or
> >>newer that doesn't allow you to replace it, please
> >>let us know so we can start the compliance process.
> >
> >I wonder how that will play out with the new US FCC rules causing some
> >manufacturers to disallow installing 3rd party firmware:
> >
> >http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/03/tp-link-blocks-open-source-router-firmware-to-comply-with-new-fcc-rule/
> >Maybe they will just not include samba, or other GPLv3 software?
>
> independent of the FCC - the logical result of "start the compliance
> process" against a hardware manufacturer which sells a router and add a
> goodie like samba is keep out the goodies in the next version

That's their choice. They need to comply with all
licenses of software included in their product.

This kind of attitude "well if you *insist* people
follow your license then..." is amazing to me.

What do you think would happen if such products
included Microsoft or Oracle software ? Do you
think they'd overlook license violations to
"keep the goodies in the next version" ?