[Samba] The sad state of samba 4 adaption for home/small business routers.

Andy Walsh andy.walsh44 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 17:19:13 UTC 2016

Jeremy Allison <jra <at> samba.org> writes:

> On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 11:16:36AM +0000, Andy Walsh wrote:
> >
> > Also keep in mind that samba3.6 was successfully adopted on any device that
> > had a usb2.0 port in the past. So slapping a usbstick/sdcard/hdd on a cheap
> > router is already a common scenario.
>
> Yes, and I'd like to help you do the same for Samba4.x also.
>
> Stop moaning about it, and start helping *do* it .

Oki, i just noticed that i have missed the work openembedded did in the last
months, since they seem to have solved the problem in a general way in there
trunk.
https://goo.gl/jixOqE

Its still the most complicated setup any cross compile package uses, but
this looks good. So i guess we now need to convert this to a openWRT (based
on buildroot) compatible setup.

If i understand the waf-samba.bbclass correctly they build the qemu for the
host system and configure it to use the staging_dir environment to generate
the answer files.

So first i need to create a qemu package for openWRT, since currently only a
qemu-guest package is available. I will try to get this running in the next
days and see what problems pop up adapting the openembedded logic.

Btw can you take a look and the config and check if there is anything
missing to reduce the size?
https://goo.gl/fMDbIX

thx
Andy