[Samba] The sad state of samba 4 adaption for home/small business routers.

Sketch smblist at rednsx.org
Sat Mar 12 17:08:09 UTC 2016

On Sat, 12 Mar 2016, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> GPLv3 should guarentee that you can replace the Samba
> on *any* device. That's the whole point of GPLv3 - no
> DRM.
>
> If you find a Samba device using any Samba 3.2 or
> newer that doesn't allow you to replace it, please
> let us know so we can start the compliance process.

I wonder how that will play out with the new US FCC rules causing some
manufacturers to disallow installing 3rd party firmware:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/03/tp-link-blocks-open-source-router-firmware-to-comply-with-new-fcc-rule/

Maybe they will just not include samba, or other GPLv3 software?