[Samba] The sad state of samba 4 adaption for home/small business routers.

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Mar 12 17:03:54 UTC 2016

Am 12.03.2016 um 17:38 schrieb Andy Walsh:
> I still think you completely miss the point here.
> One of the main ideas here is to transform a cheap 50-100$ device into
> something that can do as much as possible on the given hardware. So ofc your
> setup that cost 3-10 times more can do more and is faster in some areas.
>
> I specifically asked about home/sbu, yet you keep throwing in server class
> hardware in this discussion.
> So whats the point you trying to make here and how does this help actually
> solving the problems i org. asked about?

than throw
http://www.amazon.de/Celeron-QuadCore-DDRIII-e-Mini-fanless/dp/B00JSA3R30/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433334695&sr=8-1&keywords=mini+pc+2+lan
in the mix, buolt last year a small office with that device (router,
firewall, small samba server, vpn-gateway) and while it's near your 100$
class of hardware it has much more power and flexibility

the point i am trying to make here is that the usefulness of absue a
home-router as fileserver is overestimated