[Samba] The sad state of samba 4 adaption for home/small business routers.

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Mar 12 12:19:03 UTC 2016

Am 12.03.2016 um 12:16 schrieb Andy Walsh:
> Reindl Harald <h.reindl <at> thelounge.net> writes:
>
>> bloatware means unsecure, uncomfortable webinterfaces with limited
>> functionality compared what iptables alone offers you with some knowledge
>
>> all that embedded crap is for people which needs handholding and have
>> fun to own a dozen of halfbaken devices instead just one real box
>
> It seems you still have some misconception on what openWRT actually is and
> can or can't do. You also quite underestimate what modern arm based embedded
> devices can do.
>
> I get it that you are happy and comfortable building/configuring your own
> boxes by hand. In the meantime 99% of the normal home/sbu are not and hence
> projects like openwrt/dd-wrt/tomato/buildroot try to bring some of your hand
> crafted "magic" to the masses

no, it's not for the masses, for the masses is what comes out-of-the-box

there is not much difference between replace the operating system on a
mass-product and just setup my own box from-scratch in the end

i know what modern arm based devices can do

the HP microserver comes with a
http://ark.intel.com/de/products/65735/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1220L-v2-3M-Cache-2_30-GHz
which has a TDP of 17W, 2.3 GHz x86_64 with AES-NI and turbo with 3.5
GHz will blow away any embedded device and so finally that machine can
do so much more in one box with horsepower, intergated large and fast
storage and you only need to decide if you use the PCI-Express Port for
a 4-Port-Switch or as WLAN-AP while you most likely can chose the
4-Port-NIC which gives you combined with the interated Dual-Port finally
a 5-Port-Switch with a WAN-Interface and theres surely some
USB3-WLAN-Adapter on the market with is capable to run a
WLAN-Accesspoint with "hostapd"

the operating system lives on a micro sd-card and with 8 GB RAM and 4
hard-drive bayes you can do a lot of things with that box

not to forget with 5 Ethernet cards that you can build up different
brdiges/routings and if you need 10 Gigabit, well, place a 10 Gigabit
4-Port-Card in the Slot and use the interal Gigabit NIC for the WAN