[Samba] use linux user account information on samba

michaels mcs at catalysis.at
Fri Mar 11 22:21:31 UTC 2016

Dear list,
I am having real trouble using the linux authentication system with samba. I
have a configured kerberos and ldap server and authenticate in linux using
nslcd. nfs4 works fine in the linux world. Unfortunately, I am forced :( to have
some windows machines which are supposed to connect to linux fileservers.  If I
understand correctly, I can use sssd on the samba ad domain controller to "glue"
the authentication between samba and the POSIX system. I used principally the
ubuntu single sssd configuration (
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SingleSignOn) but tried many many other
configurations. I also tried winbind to no avail. If I create a user in the
local samba database I can access shares via smbclient:

smbclient //server/netlogon -Uusername -c 'ls'

A few questiosn:

1) is it actually possible to authenticate a user with the linux authentication
system to access samba shares?
2) If so can someone give me general directions and any good howtos's or wiki
pages
3) Is the authentication for a smba share happening on the server or the DC?
4) I was wondering if my ldap setup has anything to do with this? I am not
terribly keen on changing ldap since I cannot say I understand ldap well.

Hope someone can give me directions.
Cheers
Michael