[Samba] The sad state of samba 4 adaption for home/small business routers.

Andy Walsh andy.walsh44 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 19:31:54 UTC 2016

Reindl Harald <h.reindl <at> thelounge.net> writes:

> most likely because there is no serious market
>
> if i want a NAS i buy a NAS
> if i want a router i buy a router
>

> no struggle with updates and security holes
> no struggle with software versions
> no struggle with "i can have this and this but not combined with that"
> no struggle with "cool features but terrible slow" or otherside round
> no bloatware

Thats a strange argument, since up until recently home/sbu routers did not
come with 256/512MB ram, had USB3/sata3 ports and dual core arm cpu's.

All the above points are basically what i have now on my WRT-1200AC running
openWRT.
I use the latest 4.4.4 kernel + btrfs and can max out the GB ports using
smb3.1, while the system is stable and i can pick exactly what runs on the
system.

All this runs at 3-5 watts energy in a small form factor, at a very
affordable price.

bye
Andy

PS: I'm also curious what consumer router/nas combo would you buy to meet
your own requirements? There are security problems on almost all routers,
thats the reason why so many switch to openWRT/tomato/dd-wrt based
firmwares. That was also the main reason why the Asus N-16 and WRT54G became
famous.