[Samba] The sad state of samba 4 adaption for home/small business routers.

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Mar 11 17:28:44 UTC 2016

Am 11.03.2016 um 18:04 schrieb Andy Walsh:
> i would like to inspire a discussion on why samba4 has nearly no adaption on
> home/small business routers firmware.
>
> I recently switched from my old Asus-N16 running tomato to a WRT-1200AC and
> was researching potential firmware's that i could run. We have a new
> synology disk-station at work that runs Samba 4.x and it works great. So i
> was surprised to notice that 3 years after the 4.0 release i could not find
> a single home/small business oriented router firmware that was supporting
> samba 4.x? I delved deeper into this and after several weeks toying around
> with the tomato/dd-wrt/openWRT/buildroot/openembedded/optware2/entware
> toolchains and the samba 4.3 source + waf, i understand why

most likely because there is no serious market

if i want a NAS i buy a NAS
if i want a router i buy a router

both are bad things if it comes to cheap consumer crap and combine two
bad things makes it really a terrible frankenstein box

in my case i buy a box, install linux with some iptables-rules and
whatever other services i need and that includes even wlan-accesspoints
for the last 6 years

no struggle with updates and security holes
no struggle with software versions
no struggle with "i can have this and this but not combined with that"
no struggle with "cool features but terrible slow" or otherside round
no bloatware