[Samba] /etc/msg.sock folder questions regarding nvram/wear leveling.

Fri Mar 11 14:37:29 UTC 2016

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 12:44:18PM +0000, Andy Walsh wrote:
> I'm specifically asking about the msg.sock, not the msg.lock entries. The
> msg.sock entries are created under the priv-dir, where also all the
> important pdb/tdb files reside. So i can't move the msg.sock folder to /var,
> since its coded to use the priv-dir. I assume this is fine under normal
> circumstances, i just wonder if this is a good location on openWRT and
> embedded platforms?

Probably not. They are per process, so every connecting client will
create one, on disconnect it will be removed.

I chose "private dir" because access to those socket files needs to be
restricted to only root. And for the private dir we already make sure
it's root only.

So yes, this should be flexible and move to ramdisk probably.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de