[Samba] Can't add new DC

MORILLO Jordi J.Morillo at educationetformation.fr
Fri Mar 11 08:51:55 UTC 2016

Hi Denis,

Thanks for your advices.
I have in mind about your kerberos problem in a large environment but i was thinking about problem occuring at 20 and more DCC's
So last night, i modified all my krb5.conf (DC and file server) as you suggest but problem persist.

root at dc111:~# samba-tool domain join pr.educationetformation.fr DC -U administrator --realm=PR.EDUCATIONETFORMATION.FR -W PR --dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ --site=PetitQuevilly --server=smb4dc.pr.educationetformation.fr
Password for [PR\administrator]:
workgroup is PR
realm is pr.educationetformation.fr
checking sAMAccountName
Adding CN=DC111,OU=Domain Controllers,DC=pr,DC=educationetformation,DC=fr
Adding CN=DC111,CN=Servers,CN=PetitQuevilly,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=pr,DC=educationetformation,DC=fr
Adding CN=NTDS Settings,CN=DC111,CN=Servers,CN=PetitQuevilly,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=pr,DC=educationetformation,DC=fr
Adding SPNs to CN=DC111,OU=Domain Controllers,DC=pr,DC=educationetformation,DC=fr
Setting account password for DC111$
Join failed - cleaning up
checking sAMAccountName
ERROR(runtime): uncaught exception - samr_LookupNames for [DC111$] failed: NT_STATUS_NONE_MAPPED
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/__init__.py", line 175, in _run
    return self.run(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/domain.py", line 621, in run
    machinepass=machinepass, use_ntvfs=use_ntvfs, dns_backend=dns_backend)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/join.py", line 1170, in join_DC
    ctx.do_join()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/join.py", line 1073, in do_join
    ctx.join_add_objects()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/join.py", line 602, in join_add_objects
    newpassword=ctx.acct_pass)

Today, I will try to join domain as member server instead of DC.

The new Douglas KCC is not working as expected in my environment.
I follow all instruction (smb.conf modification, restart samba) etc...
Step by step i deleted ntds connection and created by hand a star topology:
Smb4dc is my bridge head, there is a manual ntds connection replicating to all other DC
Each of my DC has a unique manual ntds connection replicating to smb4dc

The new Douglas KCC seems pretty good because there is no more automatic self generated connection in active directory "sites and services" but samba-tool drs showrepl is always showing a full mesh replication.
RepsFrom and RepsTo in each of ldap partition have not being updated/deleted even if i manually launch samba_kcc by hand.

Cheers

Jordi