[Samba] Samba AD/DC crashed again, third time in as many months

IT Admin it at cliffbells.com
Wed Mar 9 03:26:51 UTC 2016

To address my comments, and the follow-up comments, on redundancy:  I do
now understand the importance of building robust infrastructure when
implementing AD (or any centralized system like it) in an organization.  I
suppose that the bulk of my experience with traditional Windows based AD
environments has come from work in small business environments where my
clients have had both limited budgets and limited technical knowledge.  All
of these windows networks have relied on a single ADC, and in the fifteen
years I've been supporting networks I have yet to experience a failure of
the magnitude I have on this specific network.

At my current employer we rely on a Windows based AD environment to manage
our domains, and we have multiple ADCs deployed for redundancy of both
Active Directory and DNS.

When deploying Samba as an AD I've followed the same procedure each time,
and currently have it implemented in three locations, all small businesses
with the same aforementioned constraints, tight budgets and minimal
knowledge of the technologies that support their businesses.  For each
deployment I've followed the samba wiki, and with each iteration (or
failure lol) I've gained both experience/comfort and knowledge about the
process, and am now comfortable building the package from source, backing
up the database, and recovering from failures via restores.

The wiki page on deploying Samba as an Active Directory Controller doesn't
mention anything about redundancy, and it wasn't until I built the VM and
joined a second ADC to this domain that I discovered and digested the wiki
content on joining a secondary ADC to a previously existing AD.  Within
that guide it states clearly the importance of redundancy, and after
reading it and battling the repeated failures of this specific machine, I
can't see myself deploying Samba again without redundant ADCs.  I think
including information on the topic within the wiki page on Deploying Samba
as an ADC might be beneficial for newcomers like myself and help others
avoid these pitfalls.  Just my two cents.

On the issue of recovering from the situation I'm currently in:  I
appreciate the guidance given to date but am presently lost as to how I
should proceed.  Could someone point me to wiki content that will guide me
through the process of demoting a PDC and transferring it's role to another
ADC in the forest?  I feel I'm close to resolving this case and don't want
to make mistakes if I can avoid them, and this is all new territory to me.

Thanks in advance,

JS