[Samba] Fetching ACL data from extended attributes

Miguel Medalha medalist at sapo.pt
Tue Mar 8 21:40:23 UTC 2016

> A Samba server I've configured uses the VFS acl_xattr module to support Windows ACLs. I'd like to view the ACL data, in as raw a state as possible, but also in a human readable format. Is there an existing utility that does that? If not, and I need to write an application to accomplish it, which APIs would you recommend (and on which attributes)?

 From the vfs_acl_xattr man page:

The |vfs_acl_xattr| VFS module stores NTFS Access Control Lists (ACLs)
in Extended Attributes (EAs). This enables the full mapping of Windows
ACLs on Samba servers.

The ACLs are stored in the Extended Attribute /|security.NTACL|/ of a
file or directory. This Attribute is /not/ listed by |getfattr -d
|filename||. To show the current value, the name of the EA must be
specified (e.g. |getfattr -n security.NTACL |filename| |).