[Samba] classicupgrade migration issues

Sonic sonicsmith at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 12:35:05 UTC 2016

On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 4:38 PM, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
> The big issue that you face is that Samba hasn't, until now, had an
> fsck for the databases.  That means that when we go to upgrade, for the
> first time we are being strict.

Is there anything better than tdbtool against the Samba 3 tdb files?

> Also just check you have the unix users and groups that you are trying
> to upgrade.

If you mean some possible ghost users I did find two with null primary
group ID's that did not show up under smbpasswd, but did when using
pdbedit. I deleted those two but it made no difference in the results.

>> Problems I see:
>> samba-tool dbcheck
>> Checking 573 objects
>> Bad talloc magic value - unknown value
>> Aborted
>>

> This is a serious issue in our code.  I'm working on it, but if you
> could save that DB aside, I would like you to run a new Samba branch on
> it if you can, to see if we can instead give a good error or confirm
> I've addressed the issue.

No problem, be happy to do this. Also I'm pretty sure I can recreate
this problem just by running the migration again.

Chris