[Samba] Samba AD/DC crashed again, third time in as many months

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 15:07:04 UTC 2016

Answering to previous mail:
AD is hearth of infrastructure. That's where all accounts are stored. That
last affirmation implies few times after you start deploying AD most of
your IT infrastructure depends on AD (all applications need accounts, they
are in AD, no AD, no accounts, nothing work) and that you take security in
consideration and that you do that seriously: an attacker with
administrator account can do almost everything everywhere on machines
joined to AD.

So redundancy, every times.

You could also think about your own issue: is it the whole DB which is
broken or is it the DB on the broken DC? With one DC, the whole DB is the
one DC, so you always break the whole DB.
With several you get a chance to break only one DC and to have others with
a coherent DB. That do not means you will never break the whole DB (backup
and a working process to restore is still needed).

Second mail:
You want to remove your FSMO owner. The FSMO owner is SOA.
These two are really important notion in AD:
- FSMO is kind of PDC in NT4 domain, these roels must belong to one DC.
Seize role before demoting the old one.
- SOA is about DNS, it refers the one server where some client can push DNS
modification. Change SOA before you try to add a replacement server to the
one you demoted. If you don't the DC you would join to replace demoted DC
won't be able to send DNS update!

And yes it possible to get redundancy with dns-backend=SAMBA_INTERNAL.

How to test your DNS servers are well configured: samba_dnsupdate gives no
error on all DC (this a test related to DNS service only).