[Samba] Segmentation Fault when trying to set root samba password, IPA as a backend

Harry Jede walk2sun at arcor.de
Sun Mar 6 16:43:21 UTC 2016

On 17:34:10 wrote Rowland penny:
> On 06/03/16 15:53, Harry Jede wrote:
> > On 16:47:40 wrote Rowland penny:
> >> /usr/local/samba/bin/smbpasswd -a ldap02
> >
> > as far as i remember this has never worked! According to the man
> > page this call should add a user to the *local* smb password
> > store. And this is by default /etc/samba/smbpasswd and not any
> > ldap backend.
> >
> > If one wish to use any ldap backend more params are needed. RTFM
>
> In that case, how am I adding users that don't exist in /etc/passwd
> to ldap with 'smbpasswd -a username' ?
you may use any other tool or script., bot *not* smbpasswd

> Perhaps you need to read the manpage again, pay particular attention
> to ldapsam:editposix
this is a smb.conf param and as such is explained in man smb.conf.

I read man smbpasswd. Here a short snippet:

OPTIONS
       -a
This option specifies that the username following should be added to the
*local smbpasswd file* , with the new password typed (type <Enter> for
the old password). This option is ignored if the username following
already exists in the smbpasswd file and it is treated like a regular
change password command. Note that the default passdb backends *require
the user to already exist in the system password file* (usually
/etc/passwd), *else the request to add the user will fail* .

--

Regards
	Harry Jede