[Samba] Map hidden can only work if create mask includes octal 01 (S_IXOTH)

Mark Foley mfoley at ohprs.org
Sun Mar 6 06:52:47 UTC 2016

This is probably something simple, but I couldn't find the problem addressed in this maillist.

I've upgraded to Samba 4.x from Samba 3.x.  I'm just using this for "classic" sharing, not
AD/DC.  I'm getting an error when I run testparm which I didn't with the previous version (or
didn't notice).

"Invalid combination of parameters for service public. Map hidden can only work if create mask
includes octal 01 (S_IXOTH)."

this section is:

[public]
        path = /mnt/RAID/public
        read only = No
        create mask = 0660
        force create mode = 0660
        directory mask = 0771
        guest only = Yes
        guest ok = Yes
        hide files = /Outlook/outlook/~*/
        veto oplock files = /OfficeCalendar.pst/
        map hidden = Yes

Can someone test me what I need to do to fix this?

THX --Mark