[Samba] Samba AD/DC crashed again, third time in as many months

IT Admin it at cliffbells.com
Thu Mar 3 17:34:38 UTC 2016

Well, this puts me in a catch-22 situation... I can see the benefit of
spinning up VMs as ADCs, unfortunately this machine is already leveraged to
the limit and there aren't any resources available to support a single
additional VM, let alone two of them.  And I'm scratching my head a bit
here as I have another Samba ADC deployed on another network, similar host
OS, similar RAID setup, and it has been rock solid...

I think the best course of action for this specific situation short-term is
to restore one of the samba backups to get their domain up and running
ASAP.  I'll then have to figure out how to shuffle resources to get a
second ADC running in a VM and with any luck redundancy will mitigate
future corruption issues.  That being said I'm very keen to understand what
the source of this corruption is, as I mentioned earlier I haven't had any
other issues with data corruption on this host and suspect that mismatched
libraries are a big part of the problem.

So, I need to verify, what is the proper way to remove the unwanted
packages in /usr/lib?  Am I trying to remove the correct packages with
apt?  Can I simply rename the offending files and reboot?

Once I've gotten rid of those files I'll follow the restore procedure and
attempt to get samba running again with last week's backup, that will allow
the client to move forward with end of year accounting work and give me a
chance to figure out how to shuffle resources so I can implement the dual
VM architecture.

Please advise, I really need to get this domain functional again by end of
day, I've got about 5 hours to do so.

Thanks again everyone for all of your help.

JS