[Samba] AD, multiple DC, some DC without DNS at all

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 09:31:23 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Thank you Mark for these precisions.

I did switch a DC to --dns-backend=NONE using samba-tool domain join. This
removed dns-<DCname> user for this DC and associated keytab.

We changed /etc/resolv.conf to use another DC - one with Bind running - as
nameserver.

Stopping there, running samba_dnsupdate gave error "NOTAUTH".

As we want our DC being able to push into DNS database some changes (when
we move our DC from Site to Site at least) I tried to find out what is
needed to replace that user in a way this user can be used by several DC to
modify AD DNS database.

What was done to get nsupdate -g working from non-DNS-DC pushing
modification to bind-dlz-DC:
- copy of private/dns.keytab from bind-dlz-DC to non-DNS-DC
- generate a Kerberos ticket for user account dns-<bind-dlz-DC>
- run samba_dnsupdate
If I remember correctlly error was "NOTAUTH" too.

- add SPN to user account dns-<bind-dlz-DC>, new SPN added were:
+ DNS/<non-DNS-DC>.ad.domain.tld
+ DNS/<non-DNS-DC>.ad.domain.tld at AD.DOMAIN.TLD

- add dns-<bind-dlz-DC> user account into dnsAdmins built-in group

Now I am able to modify AD DNS zone AD.DOMAIN.TLD using temporary files
generated by samba_dnsupdate (samba_dnsupdate was modified around line 408
to comment tmp file deletion, the unlink() function).
Trying to modify _msdcs.AD.DOMAIN.TLD is not working, I get error: "update
failed: REFUSED".

Trying to push modification using nsupdate -g is working on both AD zones
when the Kerberos ticket for my session is a ticket belonging to
"administrator" account.

In résumé nsupdate -g works pushing modification from non-DNS-DC to
bind-dlz-DC:
with Administrator kerberos ticket: on both DNS zones ad.domain.tld and
_msdcs.ad.domain.tld
with dns-<bind-dlz-DC> Kerberos ticket: only on DNS zone ad.domain.tl;
_msdcs.ad.domain.tld modification gives "update failed: REFUSED".

So I miss something to be able to use non-administrator account to modify
_msdcs DNS zone. Any idea would be welcomed.

Best regards,

mathias