[Samba] Samba AD/DC crashed again, third time in as many months

IT Admin it at cliffbells.com
Thu Mar 3 00:08:13 UTC 2016

Hi Marc,

I added "log level = 10" to my smb.conf, the new log is here:
http://www.anonpaste.net/?p=f1ec8

The initial failure of this domain occurred in mid-december, I associated
it with a failure of the raid array after an ubuntu upgrade, however, I
suspect that wasn't really the case.  I rebuilt the domain, it failed again
about a week later with roughly the same behaviour as I'm seeing now.  I
worked with the samba-users group over a period of about three weeks to
troubleshoot the issue, we settled on my database being corrupted beyond
repair, at the time I believed CrashPlan backup was to blame, but again I
suspect that may not have been the case, or at least it wasn't the only
issue in play.  I removed all Canonical samba packages, downloaded the
latest samba source from samba.org, compiled and installed samba 4.3.3.  I
then provisioned the current domain and rebuilt their infrastructure after
which I worked with Rowland a bit to implement the samba_backup script.
The domain seemed fine up until about two weeks ago at which time I started
seeing failures in log.samba, typically referencing dns update failures and
NT_STATUS_UNAVAILABLE etc.  A reboot of the DC always brought samba back, I
had hoped upgrading to the latest release would alleviate those issues.
Unfortunately the entire thing fell apart this morning, samba failing to
start, their entire domain is noon-functional.

I'm not sure how to verify all other unwanted samba packages are gone, what
would you suggest?

I look forward to any guidance you may be able to offer.