[Samba] Samba AD/DC crashed again, third time in as many months

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Mar 2 22:12:18 UTC 2016

On 02/03/16 21:42, IT Admin wrote:

> I built this machine, and while it isn't the most robust box in the
> world it has been stable otherwise.  The RAID array is configured
> RAID1, I can't see how that could cause corruption issues and I
> haven't experienced any other data corruption issues apart from SAMBA
> collapsing.  I did start seeing samba failures about two weeks ago,
> restarting the machine brought the domain up in those cases,
> associated errors revolved around samba dns functions iirc.  I have
> intended to upgrade to the latest release (which went public a week
> after the last rebuild), I had hoped that update would eradicate the
> errors I was experiencing.

I have never trusted raid since the server at the place I was working
went down, this was traced to one of the HDs dying. the raid was
composed of 4 HDs, two in stripped mode, backed up by the other two, if
one set was faulty the other set was supposed to take over, only they
didn't, took three days to get the server back up.

> My smb.conf:
>
> cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
> # Global parameters
> [global]
>         workgroup = CB
>         realm = CB.CLIFFBELLS.COM <http://CB.CLIFFBELLS.COM>
>         netbios name = FILER
>         server role = active directory domain controller
>         dns forwarder = 192.168.37.254
>         allow dns updates = nonsecure and secure
>         idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
>         printing = CUPS
>         printcap name = /dev/null
>

>         # below added from dragon.org <http://dragon.org> guide
>         idmap config *:backend = tdb
>         # This local range must not overlap the BLACK:range above
>         idmap config *:range = 5000-9999
>         idmap config CB:backend = ad
>         idmap config CB:schema_mode = rfc2307
>         idmap config CB:range = 10000-29999
>          # Use home directory and shell information from AD
>         winbind nss info = rfc2307

You might as well remove the above 9 lines from smb.conf, they do
*nothing* on a DC.

> [netlogon]
>         path =
> /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/cb.cliffbells.com/scripts
> <http://cb.cliffbells.com/scripts>
>         read only = No
>
> [sysvol]
>         path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol
>         read only = No
> [Users]
>         directory_mode: parameter = 0700
>         read only = no
>         path = /storage/Users
>         csc policy = documents
>
> The above smb.conf has been in use since late January, and the
> following I cannot explain... There should be declarations for "data"
> and "backups" in that file but they have magically vanished.  I worked
> at this location last weekend and know for a fact that those shares
> were live and accessible.
>
> It appears an update mangled the smb.conf file on the 17th of february:

AHA, I take you are talking about an Ubuntu update, as you are using a
self compiled version of Samba, no Ubuntu update should touch smb.conf,
or are you talking about some other update ?

> ls -la /etc/samba/

Why is smb.conf in /etc/samba/ ? It should be in /usr/local/samba/etc/

Rowland