[Samba] the ability to edit files generated by W7 on the linux box

Jim R ubu.jdr048 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 17:04:33 UTC 2016

HI Folks,

I know that I am doing something stupid, but after a recent update, I
cannot create another server with this ability to edit on the server box.

Linux box (samba server)
directories:- 	mnt/shared/allusers
		mnt/shared/lakesh
etc.

Windows 7 client

I can create and edit files on the shared directories. All good.

Linux box
I cannot edit a file created by W7 on the Linux box I receive a
permission error message.

Versions of software , (x)ubuntu 14:04 LTS & W7 professional.
This on a system that I have created to do testing, so it started as
14:04_3 which includes systemd or so I believe.

My older Samba servers did not seem to have a problem with this, but
this might be old age affecting "my" memory cells.

I believe that the problem is related to the permissions of
create mask = 0774
and
directory mask = 02775

--