[Samba] which DNS backend ?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Mar 1 15:39:21 UTC 2016

Am 01.03.2016 um 16:14 schrieb mathias dufresne:
> You claim to be a DNS admin and you said Rowland and you are speaking
> about different things. Can you please develop? Telling us what are
> these different things at least could help us to understand what are
> differences between these two things you were thinking about.

i talked about sepcifically about the SOA record which can only contain
one MNAME and in a normal DNS setup this is the master-server and the
other(s) are slaves trasfering zones

you machines and in case of public nameservers point to both of them,
both are authoritative and both list each public NS (in a proper
configured zone)

what annoyedd me where the claiming of two nameservers in the SOA in
this thread which don't happen - the SOA record has a defined format,
see below. there is only one place to list a nameserver, the MNAME

[harry at srv-rhsoft:~]$ dig SOA thelounge.net @ns1.thelounge.net.
;; ANSWER SECTION:
thelounge.net.          86400   IN      SOA     ns2.thelounge.net.
hostmaster.thelounge.net. 2016021702 3600 1800 1814400 3600

[harry at srv-rhsoft:~]$ dig SOA thelounge.net @ns2.thelounge.net.
;; ANSWER SECTION:
thelounge.net.          86400   IN      SOA     ns2.thelounge.net.
hostmaster.thelounge.net. 2016021702 3600 1800 1814400 3600

[harry at srv-rhsoft:~]$ dig NS thelounge.net @ns1.thelounge.net
;; ANSWER SECTION:
thelounge.net.          86400   IN      NS      ns2.thelounge.net.
thelounge.net.          86400   IN      NS      ns1.thelounge.net.

[harry at srv-rhsoft:~]$ dig NS thelounge.net @ns2.thelounge.net
;; ANSWER SECTION: