[Samba] which DNS backend ?

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 15:14:58 UTC 2016

Hi Reindl,

For me there lot of misunderstanding around DNS, especially when it comes
to AD and a bit more when that AD is Samba AD. This thread just shows that
once more time.

I'm relatively new in DNS world and learnt a lot these last months, thanks
to colleagues who are daily DNS admins and who accept to enlighten me a
little bit.

You claim to be a DNS admin and you said Rowland and you are speaking about
different things. Can you please develop? Telling us what are these
different things at least could help us to understand what are differences
between these two things you were thinking about.

I expect these two different things are clearly exposed in previous mails
but for me what are they is not clearly enough exposed, not for I can see
what you are thinking about with my little knowledge of DNS. And the bad
point is my little knowledge is very little when I face DNS protocol
questions but seems rather big when I speak with my colleagues or sometimes
even on the list. So if someone knowing _really_ DNS take time to share
knowledge, in a way understandable by stupid-non-dns-admin (me and
certainly some readers on the back-benches), that would be great for all of
us.

Cheers,

mathias