[Samba] Slow file listing : Debian Wheezy, Samba Version 3.6.6

J Martin Rushton martinsworkmachine at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 09:48:56 UTC 2016

Hi,

I have come across something similar.  We had a large directory (several
10s of thousand files) stored on a large Linux box which was migrated to
a faster, but smaller memory (256 GiB -> 12 GiB) box.  The Windows users
recorded unacceptable access times and ultimately we had to:
1) Break the large directory into several smaller ones, and
2) Move to a larger memory (128 Gib) machine.

What was happens is that Windows insists on opening each file to
generate its thumbnail.  It does this one file at a time, so simply
clicking on the directory in WE leads to (open, read, close )*number of
files.  With a large memory the files will quite quickly be cached by
the server, but with a smaller machine they are being fetched from disk.

In the present case I would look closely on the memory available on the
server, remember that you are wanting to see buffer/cache optimised, not
user memory.  I would also look at the size of the directories on the
server.  I'm going to guess that your winbox has sufficient memory that
once mapped it caches it locally, but discards this cache on WE close.

HTH,
Martin