[Samba] DNS Suddenly breaking

lingpanda101 at gmail.com lingpanda101 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 13:52:57 UTC 2016

On 6/30/2016 9:41 AM, Garland McAlexander wrote:
> Hosts:
>
> 127.0.0.1   localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4
> localhost4.localdomain4
> ::1         localhost localhost.localdomain localhost6
> localhost6.localdomain6
> 192.168.1.235 bus-ny-dc-01.domain.domain.com
> <http://bus-ny-dc-01.domain.domain.com> bus-ny-dc-01
>

> Resolv:
>
> # Generated by NetworkManager
> search domain.domain.com <http://domain.domain.com>
> nameserver 192.168.1.236
> nameserver 192.168.1.235
>
> Smb.conf:
>
> # Global parameters
> [global]
>         workgroup = DOMAIN
>         realm = DOMAIN.DOMAIN.COM <http://DOMAIN.DOMAIN.COM>
>         netbios name = BUS-NY-DC-01
>         server role = active directory domain controller
>         dns forwarder = 8.8.8.8
>         printing = bsd
>         printcap name = /dev/null
>
> [netlogon]
>         path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/domain.domain.com/scripts
> <http://domain.domain.com/scripts>
>         read only = No
>
> [sysvol]
>         path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
>         read only = No
>

> On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 9:36 AM, lingpanda101 at gmail.com
> <mailto:lingpanda101 at gmail.com> <lingpanda101 at gmail.com
> <mailto:lingpanda101 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 6/30/2016 9:25 AM, Garland McAlexander wrote:
>
>         Yes, it's set up with 8.8.8.8
>
>         I'm able to ping it without issues, jut not able to resolve
>         anything
>         externally.
>
>         On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 9:09 AM, mathias dufresne
>         <infractory at gmail.com <mailto:infractory at gmail.com>>
>         wrote:
>
>             To get recursion working with internal DNS you only need
>             to set up:
>             dns forwarder = <IP of your main DNS>
>
>             Is it configured?
>
>             If yes and packets can go from your broken DC to "your
>             main DNS" using TCP
>             and also UDP, there is an issue.

>             <garland at linear.nyc>:
>
>                 It's samba internal DNS. Only one DNS zone, and it's
>                 domain.domain.tld.
>                 It'll function perfectly, and then cease to function
>                 at a random time.
>
>                 On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 5:31 AM, Mueller
>                 <mueller at tropenklinik.de
>                 <mailto:mueller at tropenklinik.de>> wrote:
>
>                     What kind of DNS, bind or internal?
>                     With bind an samba 4.3.4 I have an issue and I
>                     have to restart bind an
>                     avahi:
>                     s4slave named-sdb[8750]: error (connection
>                     refused) resolving '
>                     thefreelanceforum.com/AAAA/IN
>                     <http://thefreelanceforum.com/AAAA/IN>':
>                     192.12.94.30#53.
>
>                     Only a restart of bind resolves this.
>

>                     EDV Daniel Müller
>
>                     Leitung EDV
>                     Tropenklinik Paul-Lechler-Krankenhaus
>                     Paul-Lechler-Str. 24
>                     72076 Tübingen
> [...]
Nothing out of the ordinary. Does the issue happen on the server side or
client side? Can you run 'nslookup google.com' from the DC? It should
look similar to this.

nslookup google.com
Server:         192.168.1.236
Address:        192.168.1.236#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   google.com
Address: 172.217.2.206

Can you rerun the same if it also happens from the client side?

--
-James