[Samba] How to debug not working Roaming profiles on Samba 4 AD setup?

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jun 27 20:48:26 UTC 2016

On 27/06/16 21:03, Thomas DEBESSE wrote:
> Hi, some months before, I was serving files and profiles using a Samba 3
> PDC server (I will name it PDCSERV), this is some abstracts fro smb.conf:
>
> PDCSERV:/etc/samba/smb.conf
>
> [general]
>          logon path   = \\%N\profile
>          logon drive  = U:
>          logon home   = \\%N\%U
>          logon script = "logon.cmd"
>          valid users = %S
>
> [homes]
>          path = "/home/%U/userdisk"
>          browseable = No
>          read only = No
>          writeable = Yes
>          browseable = No
>          public = No
>          create mask = 2700
>          directory mask = 0700
>          valid users = %S
>
> [profile]
>          path = /home/%U/profile
>          browsable = No
>          writeable = Yes
>          create mask = 0600
>          directory mask = 0700
>          profile acls = Yes
>          csc policy = disable
>
> [profile.v2]
>          path = /home/%U/profile.v2
>          browseable = No
>          writeable = Yes
>          create mask = 0600
>          directory mask = 0700
>          profile acls = Yes
>          csc policy = disable
>
> Roaming profiles was working fine, they were backed up at user logout.
>
> Then I migrated my setup to a Samba 4 AD server (I will name it ADSERV) and
> a Samba 4 File server (I will name it FILESERV), this is some abstracts
> from smb.conf from ADSERV and FILESERV:
>
> ADSERV:/etc/samba/smb.conf
>
> [general]
>          logon path   = \\FILESERV\profile
>          logon drive  = U:
>          logon home   = \\FILESERV\%U
>          logon script = "logon.cmd"
>          valid users = %S
>
> FILESERV:/etc/samba/smb.conf
>
> [homes]
>          path = "/home/%U/userdisk"
>          browseable = No
>          read only = No
>          writeable = Yes
>          browseable = No
>          public = No
>          create mask = 2700
>          directory mask = 0700
>          valid users = %S
>
> [profile]
>          path = /home/%U/profile
>          browsable = No
>          writeable = Yes
>          create mask = 0600
>          directory mask = 0700
>          profile acls = Yes
>          csc policy = disable
>
> [profile.v2]
>          path = /home/%U/profile.v2
>          browseable = No
>          writeable = Yes
>          create mask = 0600
>          directory mask = 0700
>          profile acls = Yes
>          csc policy = disable
>
>  From a logged-in client, I can successfully browse \\FILESERV\homes,
> [...]

Are the 'File servers' joined to the domain ?
Are the smb.conf files you posted complete, if not, can you post the
complete ones, exactly as they are on the computers (you can sanitize
them if you need to)

Try taking a look here:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Implementing_roaming_profiles

Rowland