[Samba] Moving the 1st DC (FSMO) to another site - howto?

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 09:05:37 UTC 2016

> Ole,

Sorry, big fingers this morning...

DC IPs (A records) are not meant to be changed (not changed _often_ at
least), CNAME are. CNAME are aliases.

When a AD site is created nothing else is done, you added a new site,
that's all.

As a DC must belong to an AD site, every DC belongs to one site, by default
they belong to "Default-First-Site-Name" (which can be renamed and I
believe I read MS advising to rename it).

DNS database contains site-related names... only once there is some DC in
the site. Before you move some DC in the new site all your DC belong to
"Default-First-Site-Name", their names are related to
"Default-First-Site-Name".

Once you have a second site, you can move DC from "Default-First-Site-Name"
to the new site. _If_ you move some DC to the new site this change must be
reflected into DNS database, but not before because DNS site-related names
are here to reflect the site to which a DC belongs to.

That's why you must move DC to new site to see the site appearing into DNS
console.

Cheers,

M.