[Samba] Unable to transfer ForestDns/DomainDNS

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Jun 23 19:49:23 UTC 2016

On 23/06/16 20:37, Jason Waters wrote:
> You said, "From what you posted earlier, the domain already points to
> the new DC, you just need to get the DNS fsmo roles."
>
> how so?  The fsmo show, shows PDC, which is the old DC.  DC01 is the
> new one.  Or am I missing something else?

bad choice of words, 'you just need to get the DNS fsmo roles' should
have been 'you just need to ensure the new DC has the DNS fsmo roles'

> As far as keeping it online I will just move everything I can and then
> seize and shut it down.  I can turn off the networking to it since it
> is a VM and still see some things. Won't the new DC's(DC01,DC02) still
> have replication information about PDC though?  the seize command
> wouldn't adjust that?

True, but 'samba-tool domain demote' now has a new option
'--remove-other-dead-server' which should remove all info about PDC i.e.
samba-tool domain demote --remove-other-dead-server=pdc

Rowland