[Samba] Unable to transfer ForestDns/DomainDNS

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Jun 23 18:45:36 UTC 2016

On 23/06/16 19:26, Jason Waters wrote:
> The built in DNS, sorry if that sounded like it was special!  So do I
> just seize it then?  And do I do that before or after dcpromo?  Thanks
> for the help.
>
> Jason

I think you are going to have to, but I would try a further slight test
first. run this:

ldbsearch --cross-ncs -H ldap://pdc -b
"DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=fisherthompson,DC=local" -s sub -Uadministrator

This should display all your DNS records

Just double check that they don't exist.

If you then go on to seize the roles, use the '--force' option with
'samba-tool fsmo seize' , this will bypass trying to transfer the role
first.

I would transfer anything on the windows DC that you may need, then turn
it off. You should then be able to seize the roles. Do not bring the old
DC back on line unless you stop the DC software from starting, I would
also change its hostname and if possible, its ipaddress.

Rowland