[Samba] horizontal fragmentation?

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Wed Jun 15 21:58:05 UTC 2016

Am 15.06.2016 um 22:05 schrieb Felipe_G0NZÁLEZ_SANTIAG0:
> I'm referring to divide/fragment de Database AD (if possible).
> Trying to store a set of Data in a DC and another set
> of data in other DC... something like this. I ask that,
> because I've been asked for a strategy or mechanism
> related to the scalability which based on the
> horizontal fragmentation of AD. Then, Does AD
> have some type of mechanism for supporting
> the horizontal fragmentation?

You can't have e. g. 50% of the users on one DC and the other 50% on a
different one. All data in an AD is is replicated to all other DCs.

The AD consists of partitions. Depending on the DC's configuration, it
may happen, that e. g. a DC doesn't have the application partition,
where the DNS stuff is located, if no DNS server is configured on a DC.
However I don't know if Samba always replicates all partitions to all
DCs. I guess Andrew can tell us this.

But I think what you are trying to achieve, is not possible with an AD.

Regards,
Marc