[Samba] DNS backend

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Wed Jun 15 16:39:04 UTC 2016

Hello Felipe,

Am 14.06.2016 um 19:17 schrieb Felipe_G0NZÁLEZ_SANTIAG0:
> which are the main differences between Samba_Internal and BIND9_DLZ ?
> I refer to the differences about functionality such as zone transfers and automatic updates.
> Which others functionalities offers BIND9, that Samba_Internal doesn't support ?

Here you find some limitations of the internal DNS:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_Internal_DNS#Limitations_.2F_Known_issues

> Is it possible to use a DNS Server (Bind9) separate of the DC Samba4?
> I mean, in other server.

It depents. First thing to mention is, that Bind requires local access
to the Samba AD database files. That's why they have to resist on the
same host. You can move your existing installation to the Samba AD host.
The AD stuff is additional and can coexist with your existing zones.

If you're not able to move Bind to the DC, you have other options:

* You can configure a forwarder zone for your AD domains on your Bind
installation, so it is able to resolve the AD DNS zones as well. But
then you the clients won't be able to register in DNS (or you do some
scripting around maybe).

* Or the other way round, you can configure your clients to use the
Samba internal DNS and set in the smb.conf the other DNS as "dns
forwarder =".

I would prefer the second way, because if the other DNS fails, you are
still able to resolve the AD zones and logons, Kerberos, etc. are still
working.

Regards,
Marc