[Samba] FW: Problem with Active Directory authentication

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jun 15 15:42:05 UTC 2016

On 15/06/16 13:51, Kaplan, Andrew H. wrote:
> Hello --
>
> When I run the getent passwd <username> for the account that works, I get output listing information
> about the user.
>
> When I run the same command for any other account, there is no output.

you need to compare the users objects in AD, compare the one that works,
with one that doesn't.

Easiest way to do this would be with ldbedit:

ldbedit -e nano -H /usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb

Run the above command on a Samba 4 AD DC and you will get nearly all the
AD contents (what you will not get is the DNS)

you can replace 'nano' with your favourite editor and
'/usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb' with the path to your 'sam.ldb'

You can then search for your users objects and then compare them, I
think you will find that you are missing 'uidNumber' attributes.

Rowland