[Samba] samba as a dc in a windows ad

Sketch smblist at rednsx.org
Wed Jun 15 12:57:46 UTC 2016

On Tue, 14 Jun 2016, David Bear wrote:

> I couldn't readily find this answer to this question but can samba act as a
> member dc along side windows running the domain? This would be a samba as a
> 'secondary' domain controller.

You can, as long as your windows DCs are not newer than 2008 R2.  I think
the only real caveat is with sysvol replication.  DRS replication is not
supported, so you'll have to use rsync or similar.  See the Sysvol section
here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Join_an_additional_Samba_DC_to_an_existing_Active_Directory

> Why would I want to do this? I am thinking of putting samba on the outside
> of the firewall acting as a RO DC and providing ldap authentication to web
> applications.

You may need a fairly recent version of Samba for this.  I believe RODC
support is somewhat of a work in progress, but it looks like it's mostly
complete now.  I'm not sure as of what version this was the case...

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Join_a_domain_as_a_RODC