[Samba] FW: Problem with Active Directory authentication

Kaplan, Andrew H. AHKAPLAN at PARTNERS.ORG
Wed Jun 15 12:29:40 UTC 2016

Sorry about being a pain in the neck about this. The AD authentication at the console, and through
SSH to the server is working for one domain user account, but no others. The problem is outlined in
the e-mail that I am forwarding to the mailing list.

How can I correct this?

-----Original Message-----
From: samba [mailto:samba-bounces at lists.samba.org] On Behalf Of Kaplan, Andrew H.
Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2016 10:53 AM
To: Rowland penny; samba at lists.samba.org
Subject: Re: [Samba] Problem with Active Directory authentication

Hello --

I was able to get SSH with Active Directory authentication set up on the server. It involved several modifications to the sshd_config file. I am listing the changes that were made for the benefit of the group:

# Change to no to disable s/key passwords
ChallengeResponseAuthentication no

# Kerberos options
KerberosAuthentication yes
#KerberosOrLocalPasswd yes
KerberosTicketCleanup yes
KerberosGetAFSToken yes

# GSSAPI options
GSSAPIAuthentication yes
GSSAPICleanupCredentials yes

There is one more caveat that I need to overcome. So far, one domain user account is able to log into the server at the
console, or through an SSH connection. However, any other user account is not able to do so. When the su - <username>
command is entered at the console, the output reads as follows:

No passwd entry for <username>

The auth.log file has entries that read as follows:

Invalid user <username> from <ip address>
input_userauth_request: invalid user <username> [preauth]
pam_unix(sshd:auth): check pass; user unknown
pam_unix(sshd:auth): authentication failure; logname =uid=0 eudi=0 tty=ssh ruser= rhost=<hostname>

What step(s) do I need to take in order to get all domain user accounts to be able to log into the server, as opposed to only one?

Thanks.