[Samba] Samba 4 Password Server

Gökhan Öner gokhanoner at sabanciuniv.edu
Tue Jun 14 16:56:52 UTC 2016

Hi friends,

I have installed Samba 4.2.10 on Centos 7 server and Samba 4.3.9 on Ubuntu
16.04 server. I configured the centos7 server as PDC and ubuntu server a
file sharing server.
I want to use centos7 server as a password server of ubuntu 16.04. As i
read in samba docs, i configured the *security *parameter as *domain *and
connected the ubuntu server to centos7's domain with "*net rpc join*"
command.

When i try to connect a share on ubuntu server from a windows client, it
fails and writes a log like "check_ntlm_password:  Authentication for user
[gokhanoner] -> [gokhanoner] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER".

After i connected the windows client to the domain which i configured on
centos7 server, i can connect to the shares on ubuntu server.

The questions are:

1- Can i connect to a sharing on my ubuntu server with a client which is
not a domain member of my centos7?

2- How can i use samba machine only a password server ? ( Like configuring
security = server and setting only a password server as older versions.)

Thanks for your understanding and kindness.

Regards.

*Gökhan Öner*
*Information Technology*
*Sabancı University*
*T:+90 (216) 483 91 81 <%2B90%20%28216%29%20483%2091%2081>*
*E:gokhanoner at sabanciuniv.edu <E%3Agokhanoner at sabanciuniv.edu>*