[Samba] Changing default UID/GID beginning for AD

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 12:13:05 UTC 2016

I loved to find out how to achieve that.

I did looked for information, all I found was that:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3e184d10-09e3-4eab-9131-6694b86879f8/modify-default-value-of-loginshell-attribute?forum=winserverDS

Unfortunately it seems to list all users (I don't know these MS commands
but "Get-AdUser -Filter"...) then sending that list to something to modify
received users list ("Set-AdObject -Replace
@{unixhomedirectory='/bin/sh','bin/bash'}" and
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee617215.aspx).

I would have looked into AD schema and configuration DIT (or naming
context?) but first I did a grep on Samba's source tree looking for
"/bin/sh" string but that strnig seems to be used for running commands and
shebangs only, I could easily have missed something anyway.

A cheating method is to give that task (user creation) to another team or
to use LDIF to create user, but you already thought about these options I
expect : )

Cheers,

mathias