[Samba] dfree is broken on this system

Thomas Schulz schulz at adi.com
Fri Jun 10 17:44:51 UTC 2016

I think that I know what is going on.

At first I was getting bad numbers from the DEBUG statement. It turns
out that %u does not work with an unsigned 64 bit integer. So instead of
passing (*dsize) I had to pass (unsigned int)*dsize. Now I am getting
good numbers.

The problem only occures with Windows XP machines. We have our users
automounted on /home/users. We have /home/users shared as share users.
If a user maps a network drive as \\machine\user then all is good.
On Windows XP, if a user maps a network drive as \\machine\users\user
then it looks like Windows XP tries to find the size of \\machine\users
which has no size as it is not a disk. Windows 7 does not have this
problem. I expect that Windows 7 instead tries to get the size of
\\machine\users\user which is a disk and everything works.

So this error message is not a problem with Samba and I will just
ignore it.

Tom Schulz
Applied Dynamics Intl.
schulz at adi.com