[Samba] Problem with Active Directory authentication

Data Control Systems - Mike Elkevizth mike at datacontrolsystems.com
Wed Jun 8 22:12:31 UTC 2016

What does "getent passwd <username>@<domainname>"  return on the server for
the login shell.  By default a samba AD DC sets the login shell for all
Active Directory user accounts to /bin/false.  The only way I've found to
change this, is to override that globally with the "template shell =
/bin/bash" option in smb.conf, which enables it globally for all Active
Directory users (probably not desired).

Mike E.