[Samba] wbinfo -u and -g gives no output

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Wed Jun 8 21:54:31 UTC 2016

On 2016-06-08 at 16:00 -0400, Dennis Xu wrote:
> Hi, I am checking again if there are any other suggestions.
>
> The Samba server is joined to AD successfully. I can
> authenticate a user using "wbinfo -a" but "wbinfo -u" and
> "wbinfo -g" commands give no output.
>
> Any ideas?

So you say the machine is cloned from another one.
Did you just copy the config or really clone it all?
Did you join this separately?
If you cloned, did you change the local sid?
So I hope you just copied the config. :-)

But for our purposes, also the caches that you
might have copied, make a difference.
Please check whether /var/cache/samba/winbindd_cache.tdb
exists (or /var/lib/samba/winbindd_cache.tdb), and
if it does, stop winbind and remove this file and
start winbind again. At least this could affect you
if you are using 'winbind offline logons = yes'.

If you had not mentioned the other identical servers
without problems, I would have suspected that you have
a very large domain (several 100,000 objects) which
may cause wbinfo -u /-g to time out. But that does
not seem to be the issue then...

If clearing the caches above does not help, we'd need
to see your smb.conf and the logs of winbind at level
10 right from starting winbind to completion of
wbinfo -u right as the first command.

Cheers - Michael