[Samba] How to prevent users from deleting directories

Chitussi, Dennis dchitus at torstar.ca
Tue Jun 7 21:22:04 UTC 2016

Hello All,
   I am new to Samba and having to learn it fast as I have taken over for someone who left staff. I have been asked if we can prevent users from removing directories and sub directories under a Samba share while still allowing them to read and write files to these directories. For instance we have a share defined as follows:

[Baskets_Out]
        comment = NGP Test Baskets Out
        path = /ngiohome/ngio/Baskets/Out
        force user = ngio
        force group = Cci
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes
        hide dot files = No
        veto files = /SafeDir/

All users access the share as the same user. I tried changing unix permissions and ownership but that didn't work. Even when I made the ownership root root, I was still able to remove that directory. I'm looking at - force directory mode or force directory security mode to see if that might accomplish the lockdown of directories that I am trying to achieve.

Thanks,
Dennis