[Samba] inconsistent DNS information, windows domain member issues..

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 10:00:36 UTC 2016

To regenerate dns.keytab I expect you only need to relaunch
samba_upgradedns --dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ.
If I'm wrong (it happens quiet often) you would have to first launch:
samba_upgradedns --dns-backend=SAMBA_INTERNAL
and then
samba_upgradedns --dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ

Here you should have a dns.keytab.

Now, right issues: dns related files in samba/private must be accessible to
the UNIX user running Bind process. That means changing rights on files and
on private (at least "x" permission to go through it).

And another note about 'islanding': this issue does not exist on recent
Samba. In fact I never had this issue with any of Samba version we tried,
and we tried almost all since 4.1.x (a big year). The issue wasn't there
when we tried to make Samba's internal DNS working (what we stopped) and is
not there also using Bind9+DLZ DNS backend.
Islanding (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/275278) is solved in MS
Windows Server 2012. It's a stupid bug from MS, they - as everyone - do
mistakes sometimes. Samba team also do mistakes sometimes, but that one
wasn't reproduced. Islanding does not exist with Samba AD DC.

Obviously you can use localhost as DNS resolver only once you have joined
the DC to the domain and after replication happened. Otherwise your new DC
will have empty DNS zones and so no reply.

If my English understanding is correct enough this was even told by Andrew
Bartlett in a mail from May the 26th around 20h20 UTC, the title was
"[Samba] DC2: TKEY is unacceptable, Failed DNS update?":
"Yes, it should use itself as the DNS server, once the initial
registration work is done."