[Samba] smbpasswd stops working post-upgrade

J Martin Rushton martinsworkmachine at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 08:07:57 UTC 2016

On 02/06/16 13:42, Rowland penny wrote:
> On 01/06/16 14:29, J Martin Rushton wrote:
>> Background
>>
>> I have a network of machines behind an air-gap, therefore upgrades are
>> a tedious business normally performed four times per year. The systems
>> run various versions of CentOS and I use the Samba that is distributed
>> with CentOS.  Last weekend I updated the 5.7 machines with updates to
>> 18 April 2016, not the current 5.8. Those of my users who run Windows
>> boxes (Windows 7 Enterprise) map Samba shares on my machines to a
>> drive letter on their PCs. In order to do this they need to keep their
>> Samba passwords updated. Samba passwords are held in
>> /etc/samba/passdb.tdb.
>
> Try upgrading your OS, 5.7 is very old, 5.11 is the current version and
> this goes EOL in March next year and if you look here:
> https://wiki.centos.org/Download
>
> You will find this:
>
> ** Please note Red Hat's policy on Production Phase 3 for EL5 in the
> above support policy. Only those security updates deemed crucial are now
> being released upstream for EL5 (so also for CentOS Linux 5) Please read
> this Mailing List
> <http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2014-November/148008.html>
> post for more details. The CentOS team recommends that you start moving
> workloads from CentOS-5 to CentOS Linux 6 or CentOS Linux 7.
>

> If you upgrade your OS, your problem may be fixed, but if it isn't, you
> stand more chance of getting it fixed.
>
> Rowland

Thanks Rowland.  I'm afraid I made a mistake, the machines we have are
7.2, 6.7, and 5.11; hence my thinking about the .7/.8 issue.  It is the
5.11 machines that are having the problem.  The plan is to migrate Samba
serving to the 6.x machines, but at the moment non-Samba problems are
making them unreliable.

So - we have just updated 5.11, and the Samba distributed with that has
stopped working.  I am reluctant to import a non-CentOS/RHEL version of
Samba since it upsets the CentOS repository system.

Apologies once again for confusing the issue.

Martin