[Samba] Problems with OS X 10.11.5

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 11:59:17 UTC 2016

> On Wed, Jun 01, 2016 at 07:44:26PM +0000, Seth Goldin wrote:
> > I disabled client signing from the client side, via OS X's global
> nsmb.conf
> > file: https://discussions.apple.com/message/30282470#30282470
> >
> > The performance was back to over 600 MB/s, as compared to 60 MB/s with
> > signing.
> >
> > It just seems a bit weird to me that Apple, in response to the Badlock
> bug,
> > would have changed the OS X client default to something with such drastic
> > performance implications, without much notice. My contact at Apple said
> > that the engineers were able to replicate the slow performance on OS X
> > Server as well, so even if they didn't test it with Samba on Linux or
> > FreeBSD servers, they might have just been too hasty in their response to
> > Badlock. I wonder if they had only tested OS X clients with Windows
> Server.
> > I wonder what that performance looks like, but I don't have access to
> > Windows Server.
>
> What protocol is this? Metze has patches to use hardware-accellerated
> AES so that latest 3.11 will have much less impact on performance.
>
> I'm not sure those patches have already landed, but I want to counter
> the impression that signing is sooo bad for performance. It can be
> good, given the right protocol and CPU support.

What would we have to do to get that hardware performance improvement?
Just upgrade Samba to some version patched with Metze stuffs or is there
also some drivers to be compiled and loaded into Kernel?

The hardware seems to be included directly in CPU:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptographic_accelerator
gave me:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AES_instruction_set

Then looking for my own desktop CPU I found that page from Intel where
there is a line for "Intel® AES New Instructions" near the bottom:
http://ark.intel.com/products/63697/Intel-Core-i7-3930K-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz

Cheers,

mathias