[Samba] Problems with OS X 10.11.5

Seth Goldin sethgoldin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 19:44:26 UTC 2016

I disabled client signing from the client side, via OS X's global nsmb.conf
file: https://discussions.apple.com/message/30282470#30282470

The performance was back to over 600 MB/s, as compared to 60 MB/s with
signing.

It just seems a bit weird to me that Apple, in response to the Badlock bug,
would have changed the OS X client default to something with such drastic
performance implications, without much notice. My contact at Apple said
that the engineers were able to replicate the slow performance on OS X
Server as well, so even if they didn't test it with Samba on Linux or
FreeBSD servers, they might have just been too hasty in their response to
Badlock. I wonder if they had only tested OS X clients with Windows Server.
I wonder what that performance looks like, but I don't have access to
Windows Server.