[Samba] access denied with "hide dot files = Yes"

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Jun 1 17:16:15 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jun 01, 2016 at 10:08:20AM +0200, samba.20.andwin at spamgourmet.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> at our site we're using the revision control software Mercurial. A typical
> workflow scenariao is that we have a Mercurial repository on a Samba AD
> Member share and the users pull and push commits to this central repository.
>
> This workflow is broken as of Samba 4.3.4. When doing certain operations
> (pull or push) on the central repository on the Samba share, Mercurial
> complains that it has no access to a file in the repository and aborts the
> operation, even if the user actually has full access to the repository (the
> repository resides in the directory /.hg).
>
> It seems that the change
> * BUG 11645: smbd: Make "hide dot files" option work with "store dos
> attributes = yes".
> is related to the problem. When "hide dot files" is set to "No", the
> problem doesn't occur.
>
> The smb.conf is as follows:
> [global]
>         workgroup = AD
>         security = ADS
>         realm = xx.xxxx.xx
>
>         idmap config *:backend = tdb
>         idmap config *:range = 70001-80000
>         idmap config AD:backend = ad
>         idmap config AD:schema_mode = rfc2307
>         idmap config AD:range = 10000-70000
>
>         vfs objects = acl_xattr
>         map acl inherit = Yes
>         store dos attributes = Yes
>
>         winbind nss info = rfc2307
>         winbind enum users = yes
>         winbind enum groups = yes
> [ftp]
>         path = /home/shares/ftp/
>         hide dot files = Yes
>         read only = no
>         vfs objects = acl_xattr

This actually worked before due to a bug in Samba,
which 11645 fixed to make us work the same as
Windows.

When "hide dot files" is true the attribute
returned is H, which restricts operations
the Windows client can do to the file until
it is removed.

Prior to BUG 11645, the stored DOS attributes
would override the H attribute, so you weren't
actually getting correct behavior.

If you depend on accessing dot files without
the H attribute, set "hide dot files = no".