[Samba] ADFS support?

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Wed Jun 1 06:12:34 UTC 2016

On Tue, 31 May 2016, Alex wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to query an Exchange server for its user list via ADFS
> using samba?
>
> I'm interested in integrating this support with postfix on my fedora
> system instead of having to maintain the list in Exchange and the list
> as a map in postfix.
>
> I really don't know much about Exchange and whether/how this would
> work. Is it secure?
>
> Is LDAPS an alternative? Is it secure?
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

Alex,

ADFS (Active Directory Federation Services) is an SSO (Single Sign On)
solution from Microsoft.  It speaks several federated authentication
protocols, such as WS-Federation and SAML.

Perhaps you're thinking of querying AD (Active Directory).  AD is a
Microsoft directory service used by many Microsoft products, such as
Exchange, to store user, group, and computer objects.  All of your users
with Exchange mailboxes will have user objects in AD, so you really want
to query AD from Postfix (or some intermediate script).  Fortunately, AD
speaks LDAP too, which is an IETF standard.

I don't know a lot about Postfix, but LDAP is a very common place to store
users, so I expect that Postfix can talk to pretty much any LDAP server,
including AD.

LDAPS is LDAP-over-SSL.  If you're using LDAP to authenticate users, then
you should be using LDAPS.  If you are querying simple user information on
an internal network, then plain LDAP is probably okay.  However, LDAPS is
very easy to use, so I'd recommend it.  Why not use encryption if it's
easy?

The LDAP (AD) attributes that contain email addresses are "mail" (the
user's primary email address) and "proxyAddresses" (a list of all the
user's email addresses).

I hope this helps!

 	Andy